Sunday, October 31, 2010

Expanding Horizons

This is my first blog post from McMurdo Station, currently where the sun never sets. As a result of necessity, Antarctica in many respects is a self-contained universe. There are all types of jobs and positions here at the bottom of the world from scientists, weather observers, firefighters, IT personnel, hair stylists, cooks, janitors, heavy equipment operators, pilots, physicians and an array of other support departments. This unique culture brought to light the unintentional limits I have imposed upon myself. What other experiences might I like to have? What other jobs might I like to try? In my opinion, there are only two things in life that matter: our experiences and the relationships that we have. When it comes to these two concepts, quality is better than quantity. In a harsh environment, it interesting what you can learn about yourself. Our occasional shipments of fresh fruit and vegetables are quite valuable here. I have not watched T.V. since my arrival. I have adjusted to the colder temperatures, cramped quarters due to higher station populations and even going downstairs for communal shower and restroom facilities. I sure could go for a Diet Pepsi, though. So far, I am enjoying the learning process.

From a human resource practitioner perspective, I have been contemplating the benefits of rotating through and experiencing other functions within an organization. There are substantial benefits to the employer and employee when an individual can gain an understanding of another piece of the business. As an HR professional, I would be intrigued by the idea of being able to directly apply development and recruiting skills to a particular business unit, while helping other leaders in the division do the same. The knowledge HR folks can acquire about their organization by working in a different department is invaluable when they return to an HR function. Human resource professionals can use that first hand experience to more fully understand the skills their company needs to recruit for and develop. They also have a better grasp and appreciation of employee issues and concerns. It is critical that HR understands how the company makes money and what their value is in the process.

My excitement grows as I reflect upon the limitless opportunities that are available. The only limits are those that we place upon ourselves. What experiences do you want to have?

No comments:

Post a Comment