Monday, August 23, 2010

Lessons from the Ice

Although I will not be deploying for Antarctica until mid October, in some respects, I feel that I am already there. As the first flights depart for the ice during winfly (winter fly-in), employees come through Denver for orientation training. Whether it is someone’s first or fourteenth season, the same excitement is in the air. As I have conducted training sessions for these groups who will arrive at McMurdo Station under the cover of darkness on C-17’s, I have learned quite a bit. These folks are not your typical employees. The vastness and uniqueness of their experiences are impressive. Many are highly educated world travelers driven to adventure. Some tend to live nomadic life styles. Where do you have your mail sent? Is more pertinent than where are you from? One thing they all have in common is that they love to talk about the U.S. Antarctic Program as much as I do.

From a human resources perspective, there are many more interesting challenges. At each station, employees are living and working in a tight knit community 24/7. There is no leave or going home for the holidays. Extreme conditions necessitate a higher focus on safety. Fairly strict medical and dental (and psychological in winter) requirements set this type of employment apart from other jobs. Performance evaluations are much more thorough and taken seriously. Problems are addressed quickly. Continuous feedback helps to boost morale.

I feel lucky to have this career experience, which has changed the way I look at work. I am truly re-engaged with a tremendous sense of freedom. I can’t wait to find out what is next.

No comments:

Post a Comment